1. Get a piece of paper and count the names of all the big objects in your house. Example: 42″ Plasma TV – 2 pieces, Queen size bed – 2 mattresses and 2 box springs. Yes, it takes time, but it’s worth the savings in time.
2. Get a box the size you will use for packaging. Put as many small items in the box as will fit safely. Take the same box room to another room and think about how many items will fit in the box. Write down how many boxes are needed for each room. Example: Master bedroom – 6 boxes. We use this information when talking to Last Minute Movers companies.
3. Go to the garage and do steps 1 and 2.
4. Go out to the front yard, back yard, or side yard and make the same assumption.
5. For moving companies, check online and full-page phone directories. Check out sources like Craigslist, where many budget movers list themselves. Ask your friends to recommend moving. We start with a list of 10 movers. To find out which of the directors on your list are licensed, check with your state’s moving permitting department. Search for keywords such as “complaint” or “problem” with the name of the moving company. Advanced search will give you an idea of your past complaints. Few people move perfectly, which can cause some problems. A moving company may use independent contractors that may not be used for your move. The study is simply to inform you. Moving companies with high costs are best served because they have enough money to finance the move. Can you afford expensive transportation? Can you avoid expensive transportation? Only you can make that decision. If your budget is limited, your best defense is to get an education. Write down what you think is important next to each mover. Write down your moving budget. Would you like to pack? When are you planning to move? Now you know what you need to move, the amount of each item, the list of movers you have researched, and how much you can spend on each move. How will you finance it? cash? check? Credit card? What type of credit card is it?
6. Call the mover list. If you are not satisfied with the list, call another set of 5 movers. Repeat if necessary. Narrow you are your choice.
7. Label each large item and box using colored paper or sticky notes. Do not rely on writing on boxes as other writing can confuse movers. Assign a unique color code to each room in your home. For example, the master bedroom might be all blue. Tape the post-it note securely where the tape won’t damage it. Some moving companies that pack for you use the same color coding system. Keep fragile items together and mark the box clearly in very large letters.
- Determine the most important items to move. If your focus is a giant TV or grandma’s heirloom chair, remind your team of your focus. The team can focus on moving the grand piano in the living room, but if they’re worried about the grandma’s chair, stress levels will rise until the moving need is met. Sometimes couples have important differences. Talk to each other and make sure your team leader knows that each has specific concerns. While the kids are moving, remember to have your worries, and keep important items at the top of your focus list as well.